FCB Brasil Chief Creative Officer Joanna Monteiro Selected for D&AD’s Inaugural Advisory Board
Creative leader will be the only Brazilian representative on the organization’s 2018 board
D&AD has chosen FCB Brasil Chief Creative Officer Joanna Monteiro to serve on its Advisory Board, beginning in 2018. A member-run organization, D&AD “represents global creative, design and advertising communities and celebrates brilliance in commercial creativity,” across a diverse range of disciplines. D&AD boasts several prestigious awards shows throughout the course of the year, including Impact (transformative work), Professional (creative excellence), Next (rising directors and photographers) and New Blood (up-and-coming talent).
News of Monteiro’s selection comes as part of D&AD’s appointment of a new president and deputy president – Steve Vranakis, Executive Creative Director at Google’s Creative Lab, and Harriet Devoy, Creative Director of Design and Marketing Communications at Apple Europe, respectively. D&AD simultaneously announced the establishment of its inaugural Advisory Board for the upcoming year, comprised of creatives in top leadership roles from around the world, spanning advertising, editorial, design, digital and production. These representatives will also provide on-going mentorship to D&AD’s New Blood Shift – a free night school for young creative minds, which is tasked with equipping them with the creative education they need to develop a stake in the industry.
Of the 26 members chosen for D&AD’s 2018 Board, Monteiro is currently the only Brazilian delegate. During her tenure as Chief Creative Officer at FCB Brasil, which began in 2015, the agency has experienced a resurgence, seeing particular success at the D&AD Professional Awards, where it won 12 Pencils over the last three shows. FCB Brasil took home a Wood Pencil this year for Clube de Criação’s
“Stone Milk,” earned five Pencils in 2016 for BDF NIVEA Brasil’s “NIVEA Doll” – with Monteiro as the creative mind behind this forward-thinking campaign – and received multiple Pencils on behalf of clients NIVEA and CNA in 2015. Monteiro also served as President of the Integrated & Innovative Media Jury in 2016.
“It is an honor and a tremendous responsibility to be part of this group of giants. D&AD has always made its standards very clear to ensure creative excellence in our industry. And the idea of ensuring an even greater exchange of knowledge is ambitious and passionate,” said Monteiro.
While working as FCB Brasil’s VP, Creative Director in 2014, Monteiro was crowned Business Insider’s most creative woman in advertising – once again featured as the only Brazilian on the list – and was also ranked on the Big Report’s Top 10 most award-winning creative directors in the world. Her accolades for FCB Brasil include 36 Lions at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity cumulatively, between 2014 and 2017, most recently scoring two Silver Lions for Estadão Newspaper’s “The Corruption Converter.” Monteiro was also President of the Cannes Mobile Category Jury in 2015.
Refer below for a full list of this year’s D&AD Advisory Board members:
- Cheyney Robinson, Chief Experience Officer, EMEA and APAC, Isobar
- Colleen DeCourcy, CCO, Wieden + Kennedy
- Corinna Falusi, CCO and Partner, Mother NY
- David Lee, CCO, Squarespace
- Dörte Spengler-Ahrens, ECD, Jung Von Matt/SAGA
- Eddie Opara, Partner, Pentagram
- Farid Mokart, Founder and Creative President, Fred & Farid
- Jaime Perlman, Founder and Creative Director, Jaime Perlman Studio
- Joanna Monteiro, CCO, FCB Brasil
- Sir John Hegarty, Founder, BBH London
- John Mescall, Global Executive Creative Director and Global Creative Council President, McCann Worldgroup
- John O’Keeffe, Worldwide Creative Director, WPP
- Jonathan Kneebone, Co-founder, Glue Society
- José Miguel Sokoloff, President of Mullenlowe Group Creative Council and Chief Creative Officer, Mullenlowe Group UK
- Kai Hsiung, MD, RSA Films Ltd
- Kerstin Emhoff, Co-Founder and President, Prettybird
- Kitty Lun, Head of Creative Shop, Facebook Greater China
- Malcolm Poynton, Global CCO, Cheil Worldwide
- Mark Tutssel, Global CCO, Leo Burnett Worldwide
- Nick Worthington, ECD, Colenso BBDO
- Paco Conde, ECD and Partner, Anomaly
- Per Pedersen, Global Creative Chairman, Grey Group
- Rob Newlan, CEO EMEA, Virtue Worldwide
- Theseus Chan, Creative Director, Work Pte Ltd.
- Tim Greenhalgh, Chairman & CCO, Fitch
- Yuya Furukawa, Chief Creative Officer, Dentsu Inc
FCB (Foote, Cone & Belding) is a global, fully integrated marketing communications company with a heritage of creativity and success dating from 1873. Based on a deeply developed understanding of diversified local markets and global cultures, FCB focuses on creating “Never Finished” campaign ideas for clients that reflect a deep understanding of the brand’s past, a respect for the present and an anticipation of the future potential. With more than 8,000 people in 109 operations in 80 countries, the company is part of the Interpublic Group of Companies (NYSE: IPG). Learn more at and follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@FCBglobal) and Facebook (FCB Global).
About FCB Brasil
FCB Brasil is a Brazilian ad agency that is part of the FCB (Foote, Cone & Belding) international network. It is also part of the IPG (Interpublic Group) international agency group. Aurélio Lopes is the agency's current president, as well as Chairman of FCB Latin America. In addition to its head offices on Avenida das Nações Unidas in São Paulo, the agency also has an office in Rio de Janeiro. For more information, follow the agency on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Since 1962, D&AD has been inspiring a community of creative thinkers by celebrating and stimulating the finest in design and advertising. A D&AD Award is recognised globally as the ultimate creative accolade, entered and attended by the best from around the world.
But it’s much more than just awards. Members join a vibrant global community, whilst creatives and clients are inspired by a world-class training programme.
As a non-profit, all of D&AD’s surpluses go straight into programmes such as New Blood and New Blood Shift, that inspire the next generation of creative talent and stimulate the creative industry to work towards a fairer, more sustainable future.